Hello and thank you for applying to App Academy! We're excited to help you begin your journey as a web developer.
Before we get started coding, let's discuss the application process. This prep work will teach you everything you need to know to get into App Academy. The admissions process has two steps:
- Step One: After you've completed this prep work, you'll take an online coding challenge.
- Step Two: After passing the online challenge, you'll receive additional practice problems and receive a link to schedule a technical interview over Skype.
If you already have coding experience, try taking the practice challenge in the language of your choice. If you finish in less than 45 minutes, you're probably ready for the online coding challenge.
If you're new to coding, don't worry! That's why we provide the prep work. Here's how to get the most out of it:
- Type out the code for any examples in the Repl.it shell (introduced here!). Simply reading the code is not enough to become a great programmer. Typing the code will increase your comprehension, and mistakes will reveal weaknesses in your understanding and improve your debugging. Bugs are software's best teachers, so please don't copy and paste.
- We've provided a glossary at the end of this curriculum for reference.
- When you take the quizzes, keep in mind that they're in no way attached to your application and are not graded. If you don't know the answer to a question, click the explanation button.
- Do all the exercises and view our solutions after you finish. When you're done coding a solution, look at how we would solve it. You'll pick up new tricks and shortcuts as well as Ruby best practices.
- When you've finished the prep work, take the practice challenge so you feel prepared and know what to expect for the real thing.
Good luck, future Rubyists. We're looking forward to working with you at App Academy!